This article introduces you to the API functionality that is available as an add-on to the Tourwriter Enterprise plan, what it can do for your tour operator business, and how to get started.
What is the Tourwriter API?
Tourwriter provides a standard API (Application Programming Interface) which allows your Tourwriter database to automatically interact and share information with other applications.
The Tourwriter API in more detail
The Tourwriter API uses the Representational State Transfer (REST) software architecture; this means it uses simple HTTP methods such as GET and POST. The RESTful Tourwriter API will allow Tourwriter data to be extracted in JSON format, making it easy to develop new applications and also to integrate with existing business applications such as your website.
Advantages of using Tourwriter API with your website
The Tourwriter API can be used to help you showcase and sell your travel offering on your website.. The ability to be able to look through sample itineraries and book online is a significant enhancement to the overall customer experience; the Tourwriter API makes this possible.
The Tourwriter API can share data between your Tourwriter application and your website. This information can be used behind the scenes as well as on the customer facing end of your website. For example, when your customers come to your website they will be able to see detailed example itineraries that were created by you in Tourwriter. You also have the option to make these itineraries available for sale on your website. This means that when a customer buys an itinerary promoted on your website, purchase data can be automatically transferred to Tourwriter for you.
Possible ways that you can use the Tourwriter API
Feature itineraries online
Display itinerary information on your website. These itineraries will already be created in Tourwriter with all the important details your customer will need to see. They will then be displayed on your website.
Create itineraries in Tourwriter using fine pricing control of margins, currencies, and overrides, and display these prices on your website.
Set allocation limits in Tourwriter to ensure that your inventory (packages or add-ons) are not oversold when offering ‘book or buy now’ functionality on your website.
Pulling the sold itineraries from your website into Tourwriter allows you to easily request and confirm all bookings, create invoices and publish documents.
Once itineraries are sold through your website, the sale information will be pulled into Tourwriter, allowing you to report on financials per itinerary or across multiple itineraries and time frames. Then, data can easily be exported to your accounting systems.
If you want to sell your pre-designed itineraries online the API functionality is the perfect addition to Tourwriter to allow you to do this. Here is an example scenario demonstrating how this would work in Tourwriter and on your website, for both you and your customers.
- In Tourwriter, create the sample itinerary you would like to display on your website;
- Using your website’s content management system (CMS) create a space for this itinerary and pull the itinerary from Tourwriter using the API;
- Your customer sees this sample itinerary on your website, books and pays for it;
- The API then takes this information and transfers it back to Tourwriter, updating all required fields and deducting this sale from the allocation you have set (if you choose to use this feature).
Important Information to Note
In order to use the Tourwriter API, your website will have to be updated with specific code. This may require in depth customisation to your website depending on the specifics of your website content management system (CMS).
Tourwriter can provide custom work to change the available data queries, the shape of the data, and the field names. Please discuss this with your Sales Executive, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote.
It is possible to customise the API in order to connect the Tourwriter application with other 3rd party apps such as CRM software, an accounting system or an e-commerce portal. This can also be discussed with a Tourwriter Sales Executive.
How to set up the Tourwriter API
- Contact your Tourwriter Sales Executive to ask about the Tourwriter API. They will give you more specific information about how the API might work specifically for your business needs.
- Depending on the specifics of your business and the scope of what your want the API to achieve for you, your Sales Executive may refer you to the Tourwriter Support Team to discuss the technical specifications, before moving forward with the sales process.
- Once a scope has been agreed, your Sales Executive will provide you with a quote.
- Once you complete your Tourwriter Implementation, the Tourwriter Support Team will work with you or your website developer to get your Tourwriter API up and running in line with the scope of work established during the sales process.